The Idle Hour . . or two
214 North 6th Avenue
West Bend, Wisconsin  53095

About Us

Built in 1890, the Idle Hour was originally a stationary store.  In 1906, the Haebig family moved from Appleton and started renting the building for a tailor shop.  The Haebigs purchased the building in 1923 and added an addition as their business grew.  A second addition was added to the back of the building around 1930. Bob Haebig retired in 1996 and sold the building to Greg Chmielewski. 

Greg restored the two bedroom upstairs apartment back to the original 1890 style and used the main floor as a work area.  In 2006 Greg and Edie started working full time on restoring the main floor and building the restaurant.  All the wood trim is either original or replicated out of mostly reclaimed materials to match the original trim that had been saved.  The tin ceiling and hardwood floors in the restaurant are original.  The line shaft and skylight were in the back room and moved forward to make room for the bathrooms.  The metal frame of the skylight is original and the wainscoting around the opening came from the dressing rooms of the tailor shop.

The Idle Hour opened in April of 2009 serving coffee, tea, wine and beer, all from Wisconsin.  The food menu was added in June of that year.  The menu has changed little since opening.  We prefer to do a limited menu and do it well.  All our soups are made from scratch.  We roast our own beef, pork, chicken and turkey.  We get our Wisconsin cheeses directly from the cheese makers.  All of our beers and wines come from Wisconsin from breweries and wineries that are owned by Wisconsin companies.
Website Builder